This guide will show you how to create or add an email alias in Plesk. These steps should work well for Plesk 10+ and has been tested with Plesk 17 Onyx. The first step is choosing whether you require a forward or an alias.
There are two methods of forwarding email:
- By adding an alias to an existing email address
- By adding a new mail account and setting it up to forward to another.
If you’re forwarding to an external email address (one that is not on the same domain (example: firstname.lastname@example.org), then you’ll need to create a new email address, then configure it to forward to the final destination. Click here to learn how to create a mail forward in Plesk.
On the other hand, if you’d simply like to have multiple addresses @yourdomain.com go to the same place, then an alias is what you want!
Alias Example 1:
- You have email@example.com
- You want to also have messages addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org go to the same account
Solution: add email@example.com as an alias for firstname.lastname@example.org
Alias Example 2:
- You have the mail account email@example.com that forwards to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You want to also have email@example.com to forward to the same Gmail account.
Solution: add firstname.lastname@example.org as an alias for email@example.com — there’s no need to have both of them separately forwarding emails to your external email account.
How to create a mail alias in Plesk
- Log in to Plesk. If you have a Websavers account, follow this guide to log in to Plesk, then come on back to complete the remaining steps here. If you don’t have a Websavers account, you’ll need to find your own way in to Plesk!
- Once in Plesk choose the Mail tab
- To set up a mail alias, click on your mail account in the list (there should already be one here) to get started.
- Choose the Email Aliases tab
- Either enter in your alias or click on Add email alias then enter it in if you need additional entries.
- Choose OK
Now whenever someone emails your alias, the messages will automatically flow through to the master email account to which the alias was applied.