This guide is for Plesk 10, 11 and should also work with Plesk 12. The steps are likely to be difference for Plesk 9 and earlier.
Forward or Alias?
There are two methods of fowarding email in Plesk, the first is by creating an alias and the second is by creating a whole new mail account and setting it up to forward to another. If you’re forwarding to an email address that is not on the same domain (e.g.: messages for email@example.com to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org), then you’ll need to create a new email address, then set up the forward. If it’s simply a new name like email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with the objective of sending those messages to email@example.com, then an alias is what you want!
Note that most of the time an alias is what you want. If you already have an address like firstname.lastname@example.org that forwards to email@example.com (as an example), then you can simply alias firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com — there’s no need to have both of them separately forwarding emails to your external email account.
Plesk Mail Settings
- Log in to Plesk. If you have a Websavers account, follow this guide to log in to Plesk, then come on back to complete the remaining steps here. If you don’t have a Websavers account, you’ll need to find your own way in to Plesk!
- Once in Plesk choose the Mail tab
Setting up an alias
- To set up a mail alias, click on your mail account in the list (there should already be one here) to get started.
- Choose the Email Aliases tab
- Either enter in your alias or click on Add email alias then enter it in if you need additional entries.
- Choose OK
Now whenever someone emails your alias, the messages will automatically flow through to the master email account to which the alias was applied.
Setting up a forward
- To create an email forward, you’ll need to start by choosing “Create email address”
- Enter in the email address you’ll be creating
- Uncheck “Access to Control Panel and Uncheck “Mailbox” (since it will be forwarding messages, they don’t also need to be collected on the server)
- Click the “Forwarding” tab and check the box beside “Switch on mail forwarding”
- Enter the email address(es) you wish to forward these messsages to
- Click the OK Button