By default, WordPress does not allow usernames to be updated, however with self-hosted and open source utilities like WordPress, there is always a way to overcome these kinds of limitations.
This guide will show you how to edit the WordPress username.
- Log in to your WordPress https://websavers.ca/how-to-create-a-wordpress-website/learn-wordpress#
- Navigate to Plugins and click Add New.
- Look for the plugin called “WP Edit Username”. https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-edit-username/
- Install and activate it.
- Once activated, head over to the Users > All Users.
- Click Edit to the user which you would like to change the username.
- And in the Username field, you should see an Edit button.
- Enter the new username and click Update Username button.
You can also edit the settings in this plugin to send a notification whenever there are changes in the username. It can be done through Edit Username > Main Settings.
Guide by Raquel