Looking to get your PayPal API credentials? It’s not the same thing, but it often goes hand in hand with setting the IPN URL when connecting an eCommerce solution. Putler has done a great job with their guide.
There’s plenty of guides out there showing how to do this with the old PayPal interface and it seems they all could use some updating! Here’s how to set your IPN URL, as is commonly requested by cart software like WooCommerce.
- Login to your PayPal account
- Click here OR click the cog icon in the upper right corner, then choose Profile & Settings > My Selling Tools
- Scroll down to Instant Payment Notifications and click on it.
Now you’ll be able to set your IPN URL.
If you also wish to obtain your “Identity Token” (used to connect WooCommerce to PayPal, for example), you can follow the same steps as above, but instead of clicking on Instant Payment Notifications in the third step:
- Choose “Website Preferences”
- Under Auto Return for Website Payments click “on”
- After Return URL put https://<your_domain>/checkout/order-received/
- Under Payment Data Transfer (Optional) click “on”
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
- Choose My Selling Tools again, then select “Website Preferences” again
- Copy the Identity Token (everything after the word “Token:” in the new window), and paste it into your site’s WooCommerce PayPal configuration page.