Thankfully, Squarespace makes it easy to export the basic website content, but of course the design and structure cannot be copied over — that must be rebuilt. Let’s get started!
Exporting Content From Squarespace
- Login to your Squarespace account
- In the menu, select Settings > Advanced, and then Import / Export. If the menu isn’t on the screen you can click the arrow in the upper left corner to make the menu appear.
- Select Export. This will open a dialog box where you can choose WordPress to export to
- Wait for Squarespace to create your download link. If you’ve created multiple blogs it will ask you to choose one.
- When the download link is ready, scroll down to the area below the Export button and click Download. This will give you the XML file to import into WordPress.
Importing into WordPress
- If you haven’t done so already, create your hosting account and install WordPress.
- In your WordPress dashboard navigate to Tools > Import
- You will not see Squarespace in the list, but Squarespace formatted the export file as a WordPress compatible XML. Choose WordPress from this list and install the plugin.
- After install, the plugin will take you to the import screen. Click on Choose File, navigate to your XML file, select Upload file and import.
- Selected the option to download and import file attachments. Sadly this function does not work with Squarespace seemingly due to their hotlinking protection systems blocking the request. Note that this is not a WordPress problem, but rather a Squarespace problem
We originally used the modified version of the “import external images” plugin on Moe Loubani’s website here, however it doesn’t seem to grab *all* necessary images, so we modified the latest release of the import external images plugin on GitHub to handle this for us.
- Download the import external images plugin zip from GitHub here and install it and activate it.
- Go to Media > Import Images. It will show you the images that still need to be imported.
- Press the button “Import Images Now” and wait maybe 5 minutes and press the refresh button above. You may need to repeatedly press the import button to get all images to import.