This guide will show you how to add your email address to Apple Mail.
Things you will need:
- Make sure that you’ve already created your mail account in Plesk. Here’s how! Come on back to this guide when you’re done creating your account.
- You will require your server hostname, email address, and email password. To obtain your server hostname, login to our Client Centre (note that the credentials are not the same as for your email account unless you’ve explicitly set them that way), and choose “Manage” beside your hosting plan to view your server name and hostname. The server hostname will be in parentheses beside the server name and will look something like: thyme.websavers.ca
- Be sure to confirm that you can login to webmail at https://webmail.websavers.ca with your email address and email password before proceeding with this guide.
1. Open Apple Mail
To start following along, simply launch Apple Mail – the postage stamp icon in your dock or Applications folder.
If this is the first account you will be adding to Apple Mail, then you will be presented with the new Account wizard automatically. If you already have an account configured, please choose File > Add Account.
2. Add a New Account
Press the Continue button. You will then be prompted to enter your Name, email address and password. You can set whatever you like for your name, but be sure that the email address and password fields are both configured exactly as you set them up in Plesk. Choose “Sign In”.
3. Provide your mail server details
Enter your email address and make sure you use your full email address as the username as shown in the screen shot. Both fields should be identical. Provide your password as configured in Plesk.
For the purposes of this guide, we’ll be setting up an Account Type of IMAP (which should be the default), however if you wish to use POP, you may choose that type as well. For more details on POP email configurations, see our email configuration reference document.
For both Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server, enter your server hostname (see above for info on how to find this).
4. Finish the Creation of the Account
- Choose the Mail menu in the menubar, then Preferences
- Choose the Accounts tab (second from the left)
- Select your Websavers hosted email account from the sidebar on the left
- In macOS 10.12 (Sierra) or newer choose the “Server Settings” tab, then click the “Advanced IMAP Settings” button
- In macOS 10.11 choose the Advanced tab on the right side of the window and under the second half of the pane, look for “IMAP Path Prefix”
- Set the IMAP Path Prefix value to INBOX in all caps.
- Still under the “Server Settings” tab (or Advanced with macOS 10.11), look for “Automatically manage connection settings” and uncheck it. You may see this under IMAP and SMTP sections — uncheck it for both.
- Close the Preferences pane and save your settings when asked
- Quit Apple Mail and reload it.
Please send yourself an email – preferably from another email account – in order to test the receipt of new mail. Then reply to that email to ensure you can send email as well. For example, if you have a Gmail account, login to Gmail and send an email to your new address. Open Apple Mail, look for the new email from your Gmail account and reply to it. Verify in your Gmail account that you received the reply.
If you are able to send and receive within Apple Mail, then your setup is complete! If not, take a look through the settings for the account and make sure they match the settings described in our knowledgebase article here. If they do not, change them! If they do, but you are still not able to send or receive mail, create a support request detailing which action is failing. Please include a screenshot or copy of the error text provided by Apple Mail.