This guide will show you how to add your email address to Microsoft Outlook. We used Outlook 2016 for the guide, but the very same settings work in Outlook 2010 through to 2016 according to our tests.
Note that due to a lack of TLS support in Outlook 2003 it is not possible to use this version of Outlook with our servers. You must upgrade email clients or switch to one that supports TLS like Thunderbird.
If you haven’t already done so, be sure to create the mail account in Plesk.
To ensure your login credentials are correct, please login to webmail before proceeding with this guide. If you can login successfully, read on! If not, please reset your password and ensure you can login to webmail before continuing.
1. Open Microsoft Outlook
Launch Outlook. This is normally found under Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Outlook.
If this is the first account you will be adding to Outlook, then you will be presented with the new Account wizard automatically. If you already have an account configured, please choose File -> Add Account
2. Add a New Account
Enter your full email address. Click the “Advanced Options” link and check the box “Let me set up my account manually” and choose Connect.
Your server name for both incoming and outgoing should be the same; and both should be the actual name of the server your hosting resides on. This would be something like “rosemary.websavers.ca” or “bay.websavers.ca”.
The IMAP port should be 143, and the SMTP port should be 587. Both options should have “STARTTLS” or “AUTO” selected for Encryption Method.
Be sure the box for “Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is unchecked.
Outlook 2010 / Windows 7 / Windows 8 and TLS 1.2
If you are using Outlook 2010 and/or Windows 7 or 8 you will need to apply manual fixes to the registry to enable TLS 1.2. It is far simpler to upgrade to Windows 10 with Outlook 2013 or newer. If you don’t wish to upgrade and you require Outlook, this is your only solution. Click here to learn how to apply the registry changes.
Can’t Create Data File
If, during any part of this process, Microsoft Outlook says “Can’t create data file”, this is an issue with Outlook and not our mail servers. We cannot provide direct support for this issue, however we have been informed that the following workaround resolves the problem:
- Close Outlook using File> Exit, and press the Windows key + R key to open the Run window.
- Type ‘outlook /manageprofiles’ (without the quotes) in the Run> OK window. Note: There is a space between Outlook and the slash (/).
- In the Mail settings window, choose ‘Show profiles’> Select the profile in which you want to add the account> Properties. (use OUTLOOK profile if this is already set up)
- Click Add> Enter a name for the profile> OK, and skip step 5.
- Click on the ‘Email Accounts’ button and then click on ‘New’.
- In the automatic account settings window, enter your name, email address and password.
- Click Next> If prompted, enter your password again. This should set up your account automatically.
- Once you receive the message ‘Everything is ready’, click Finish.