This guide will show you how to use the Plesk File Manager. Here you can learn how to upload and download files, change permissions of your files, edit a file, or create an archive.
Access the File Manager
- Start by logging in to Plesk. Here’s how if you’re hosted with us.
- Choose “Files” from the Plesk main menu
That’s it! You’re in the file manager. Unless you changed it, your primary domain’s web root will be in the folder called httpdocs. Any additional domains you have added default to being in a folder that matches the domain name, unless you altered that when you added the domain.
How to Upload a File or Folder
No matter what you’re uploading, you’ll need to navigate to the folder where you’d like to upload the file first. Then proceed as below:
Single or Multiple Files: Drag and drop the file from your computer into the web folder
Folders: If you have a folder filled with files and/or additional folders, it’s best to zip the contents on your computer, then drag and drop the zip file to upload it, then extract it on the server. Here’s how:
- On your computer, right/context click on the folder and select the “Compress […]” option on macOS, or choose “Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder” on Windows.
- Drag and drop the resulting zip file from your computer into the Plesk File Manager
- Select the file in the Plesk file manager, then select Unzip.
How to Download a File or Folder
- Navigate to the folder that contains the files
- Folder only: select the folder(s) you’d like to download.
- Folder only: choose the “Add to Archive” button at the top of the file listing, then look for the archive file in the file listing
- Click the button on the far right, then choose “Download”
- The file will be downloaded to your computer
- Folder only: Use your computer’s unzip function to extract it simply by double clicking on it.
How to Change Permissions of a File
- Navigate to the folder or file you wish to adjust.
- Click the button on the far right and choose “Change Permissions”
- Specify your permissions of choice and click OK.
How to Edit a File
While Plesk’s code editor has taken years to mature, by the time they reached Plesk Onyx (17+) it’s a well fleshed out feature. You can simply click on any text file to edit it in the code editor directly on the server without having to download it, edit it, then re-upload it.