This guide will show you how to configure the Gmail app for Android (The Gmail.com webmail guide is here) to send and receive email for any email account hosted on our Plesk hosting.
This guide has been confirmed to work on the following versions of Android (but likely will work on all versions where the Gmail app is available for installation):
Things you will need
- Your email address and password. If you haven’t already created the email account in Plesk, do that first and report back here when you’re done. Here’s how!
- It’s strongly recommended that you ensure you can successfully log in to Websavers webmail prior to beginning this process. By confirming that our webmail works, you’re confirming that you have the correct email address and password combination and that email is generally working.
- Your server (host)name. You can find this in your Websavers account by logging in to our Client Centre, then choosing “Manage” beside your hosting plan. It will look something like: nutmeg.websavers.ca, though the spice/herb will likely be different for your account.
- Begin by opening the Gmail app on your Android device
- If you already have your Gmail (or any other) email account configured in the Gmail Android app, tap the image in the upper left corner (your Google profile photo) or for older versions of the Gmail app, it’ll be a menu button with three horizontal lines. If you do not already have an email account configured in the Gmail app, proceed to step 4.
- Press the down arrow that’s found to the right side of your name and existing email address.
- Choose “Add account”
- You should now be on the “Set up email” screen that lists common mail providers. Select “Other” as the account type, OR “Personal (IMAP/POP)” — different options are presented in different versions of the Gmail app.
- Enter your email address
- When asked “What type of account is this?” select “Personal (IMAP)”
- Enter your email password
- On the “Incoming server settings” screen, your Username should be pre-filled with your email address and password should be pre-filled (if not, enter them now). For the Server or IMAP Server field, enter your server hostname — the one you obtained using the steps under the “Things you will need” section above.
- On the “Outgoing server settings” screen, ensure the “Require sign-in” toggle is on or checked. Your Username should be pre-filled with your email address and password should be pre-filled (if not, enter them now). For the Server or SMTP Server field, enter your server hostname — the one you obtained using the steps under the “Things you will need” section above.
- On the “Account options” screen you may select any of the options you wish (defaults are fine). The same is true for the Account name and Your Name fields.
You should now be able to receive and send messages with the email account you added.